It's a beautiful fall day, cool and sunny. Jared and I started the morning with coffee on the couch. A ritual we still try to make time for on the weekends. We know it's rare and we appreciate every minute of it. Sometimes we both just sit and read other times we get into deep conversations that range from technology and science to missing our grandparents. It's all good... even when we don't always agree with each other.
Last night we went to see the Evens. Amy and Ian, a 2 person band. They played at CMU last night to a group of 100+. Ian Mackaye is one of Jared's favourite musicians. A man who has "never sold out" - someone he respects. I, of course, go to enjoy some live music, a rare event here in the Pitt. The performance was good... they are obviously intelligent and talented people. The crowd on the other hand was pathetic and seemingly brain damaged. These were college students... I don't get it. The word of the evening was "apathetic" - not that Jared and I are the most active audience members, but as Jared said to me later, if the audience had even been as active as we had been, the show would have been different. You know when you're somewhere quiet, like a school assembly, and you're fighting yourself internally to just not stand up and yell something crazy? All of these thoughts pass through your mind, if only you had the _____ to say that out loud? I wanted to yell, "hey you lame-o audience, get off your asses and stand up, show a little respect!! Bop your head, clap like you mean it. You're 10yrs younger than me, what's your fucking damage?!" But I didn't do that.. I just stood quietly at the side, tapping my foot, humming along like I usually do.
This event had us chatting this morning... how do we get an apathetic group engaged? is that even possible? How will we get people to vote? to stand up against the wrong and unjust things in the world? How do we create change? We know that even within ourselves there is an apathy, so to begin with, how do we get ourselves to change? Damn these saturday morning chitchats... if only they had answers.
It's so nice out that we decided to bundle up a bit and go for a walk. We walked for an hour, through the Homewood cemetery. We've been there many times before, and this time we found ourselves in an area we'd never been to before. This place is huge. It's always fascinating. Today we saw a Cole family area... Udora and Elgie - interesting names. Cemeteries are weird... all these stories, all these people. It's like making up a hundred stories on a short walk. What happened to so and so and why did he die when he was 16? Who are all these women and why are there no years and only names on their markers? What the heck happened in 1926 that there are so many people in this one area? There are cemetery tours. Maybe one day I'll go. But right now I kind of enjoy making up my own stories.
We're home again. Jared is working on his process book. They all need to hand in "books" that include their process for the data visualization (coffee coil) projects. I visited the studio space last night. It's ... well let's say it could use a designers touch. The space and the placement of desks feels all wonky. I don't know how to fix it, but it needs some serious help. That and the fluorescent lighting... yikes. Jared's desk of course is bare... except for the 5 empty coffee cups, arranged in order of size. total dorkbot.
This week I met with another handful of folks. It was all good. As I always say, everyone is super nice, very willing to help. I have more names to connect with. The thing is I am feeling a bit tired of meeting new people. I know it's all good... but I've met a lot of folks, and smiled a lot, and shared the same stories, but morph them appropriately for each new person's needs. I'm ready for a job. I don't want to keep shmoozing and networking, it's not my "thing". Sad truth is, it doesn't matter that I'm ready, I must keep on, keep on. Maybe I need Red Bull.
In other news Jared and I both got our hair cut yesterday. We look dashing... pale and tired, but dashing. As a special treat, if Jared gets enough done on his 'process book' tonight, we're thinking of going to a movie. We'd like to see the Science of Sleep. That's all I've got for right now... until later.
oh, no food posts this week. I thought it might be too embarrassing to post the photos of my popcorn and olive dinner. I'm pretty sure I'm right about that.
1 comment:
Thanks for the blog -- I feel caught up. Although I could use pictures of the dashingness...
Post a Comment