Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A New Week...

Hi again,

I know... it's been a few days, possibly a week?! Well there was that long weekend. I hope you all had a good time. We took it fairly easy. Jared did a lot of reading and finished up a project for Tuesdays class. Ahh the smell of rubber cement, and the sound of fresh, clean cutting x-acto blade.

Let's see there a bunch to catch you up on, I'll try to keep it brief and exciting. Have a drink?

Last thursday night, I met a bunch of classmates at our local bar. Kinda changed to atmosphere of the place to be there with lotsa folks who were arm wrestling. Usually the Squirrel Hill Cafe (though I've never seen one cup of coffee...) has a few locals in there, it's dark, smokey and kinda gritty. This event made it feel kinda lively - not sure I was prepared... I met all sorts of folks and was "accepted" into the group. We both had a good time. Jared is making great efforts (seemingly effortlessly) to be more social. He talked to lots of folks and initiated a bunch of conversations all evening, if I didn't know better I'd think he'd did this all the time. We were among the last to leave. The most interesting part of the night was the Art students coming over to challenge the Design students at arm wrestling. While it was "all in good fun", I would say the Art students were taking it quite seriously and with some competitiveness. I had forgotten of this "rivalry".

Saturday evening we attended our first floor neighbours' cook-out. Rachel and Chris invited us to join them and some friends and family for some food. It was a small turn out and the weather was kinda crappy, but it was nice to finally talk with them and get to them better.

Sunday... I can't really remember what we did. Jared worked on his project for AIID (advanced interface/interaction design). We read in the morning with coffees on the couch, probably went for a walk, maybe watched a movie? good times.

Monday... Jared went into school, kinda to do some reading and sketching for a data visualization project, as well as to be available for anyone in the class he TAs. I later walked down to meet him, we then walked to Shadyside (another part of town), had dinner at the Harris Grill, then made a quick visit to see Alexandra and Joe and Jodi. Here's the painting (robot is made out of tinfoil) I made for her room:

Yesterday was tuesday... Jared was up at 6:30AM, which totally sucks. Wasn't home til 6:30PM and that was because he was let out early. I did some laundry, got some groceries, visited the library, wrapped up a freelance project, sent an invoice (yay money$!), did a little job searchin' and communicating... was overall quite domestic. I also rowed AND showered - which helped in getting to the "out-of-pajamas" phase of the day. Here's my beautiful rower...

Now it's wednesday. I have caught up with Marilee, had coffee, done some searching and am now blogging. I have a call with my immigration lawyer later today, that should be... hmm... enlightening? I will perhaps try to tackle some of the piles still in the dining room and maybe read another chapter of The Handmaid's Tale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the jojobot... just the kind of sparkly, freaky thing that babies love!

Glad to see you blogging, it's nice to know what's going on in your world.

katiecoffee said...

Glad to hear you both like the Jojobot. That's what we've been calling her since we found out - so i don't think it'll change. Word is she loves the painting (they put it near her changing table) and she stares and stares at it.

As for the Handmaid's Tale, the deeper I get into it the weirder it seems to get. I'm just at the part where she's asking the Commander whats really going on. I'm as eager as she is to find out. I am enjoying it and will hopefully finish it this weekend.