Sometimes I call him jaroo - read: juh-roo. Sometimes I call him other names. Anyhoo, i would say day 1 was a success. I can tell you already that we're going to have issues if he can't be patient with me for not understanding which "data" he's talking about, when his 2 projects both require him to note "data"... see what I mean?
His first class was with Dick Buchanan, Human Experience and Interaction Design, a class he's sure to enjoy. It seems that Jared has managed to collect all the books on his rec. reading, while others are asking, "Semiotics?! Rhetoric?! I thought that meant bullshit..." Guess who had that knowing, smirking look in his eye? Indeed. First assignment, pick an object and choose to 3 data points (data is not information fyi), or something. Due tomorrow.
(just poured myself a cool glass o' white wine... jared is still at school, suckah.)
Second class was with Dan Boyarski, sounds like another great class. Jared needs to collect data about himself for a week, like how many hours do you sleep a night, etc. First steps in a data visualization project I believe.
You'd think that'd be enough but, no, he went out with folks for some regular graduate drinking event. I wasn't even invited as you HAD to have a CMU id to even get in. Thankfully I was still enjoying my time alone. :) Jared returned around 11:30pm, again all chirpy and brainfull. It's been so long, it's awesome to see...
This morning jc was up at 6:45am. damn thats early. He TAs a class that starts at 8:30. He thought it was a class he was in, but found out today that he was moved into an advanced class later in the day... So instead of attending 2 classes today, he has to attend 3. Looooong day jose. I'll get the scoop I'm sure, but he's got to write that paper tonight, so who knows?
I won't likely be keeping such close notes on all his days, but I thought you'd all appreciate some info as we get underway.
2 comments:
Ah, the tension is already building. This is gonna get GOOD...
Truthfully though, while I know he'll be stressed, I'm betting this won't be so bad, as he'll be driven by a desire and an enjoyment that he didn't have as an undergrad. He spent so much time back then fighting an urge to just give up, and bitching about how everything 'sucked' so bad. In this case, he's had the time to see how an environment where people actually spend all day discussing concepts and theories isn't so bad... Plus he's had to work so hard to get in. So it should be 'happy-stress' for more of the time.
I hope they don't require the CMU I.D. on too many things. It'll be good if you can get into the social scene and bring out Jareed's 'lighter' side... bit... part–
Meggo basically became part of the class up here, and even went to some events that I didn't go to. We also had a public 'forum' class which she went to every week, which allowed her to get involved in some of the discussions directly. That was really a good thing, as it felt like we got two degrees for the price of one. (and she didn't have to do the assignments)
That's 'Adam'...
Post a Comment