Thursday, August 31, 2006

About Day 3...

First off, you should all know that the 3rd or 4th thing Jared does when he comes home from school, after dropping his bag, kissing me hello, venting about the humidity and getting a drink of water... is read the comments on the blog. So I'll try to do my best to 'keep at it' for all of our sakes.

I mentioned that Jared was bumped into an advanced class. It's mostly 2nd years, HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) and PhD students. Yes. He came home excited about it though and one of the first things he mentioned was that he'd be doing something with a robot later in the year. Also I know he really likes the teacher Jodie, so that helps a lot. Last night he had about 100+ pages of reading to do, and needed to bring 3 objects/products that use some kinda of mechanical(?) element. Then there's the class he TAs, the prerequiste to the above class. He's going to have to do all the reading, give a few presentations, lead some critiques, and grade(?)/give feedback on papers I think. This is for a class of his fellow first yrs... seems like a bit of a weird position to put someone in, in my opinion. I can tell that he seems more comfortable with it now since he's got a better idea of the expectations the professor has of him. I'll keep you all in the loop...

Then there's the last class, seems like a techincal class where they learn the basics of animation, video and game design. It's mostly a class so they can learn to make prototypes for their other classes. So if they are designing interfaces for mobile phones they can make something that actually works and test it.

Yesterday, was the 2nd class with Buchanan, the "seminar" class, as I'm learning. I believe Jared said, "it's going to kick our asses." I can't really say much more about it because I don't think I really understood anything Jared was talking about. I'll try to be a better "interpreter", but now isn't the time to stop him when he's running with commentary. I need to train him gradually to slow it down a bit.

I should also add that he and I are starting to look VERY tired. It's probably because we are. Our schedule has changed drastically, Jared's more than mine obviously... I wonder how long it will take to adjust?

No comments: