Sunday, November 23, 2008

earWorms 54

[jc: guest post]

Not exactly sure of the cause, but this week had a number of light-sleeps. I frequently fell asleep quickly, but woke up a few hours later and had to struggle to keep myself behind the wall of sleep. During those nights, I found myself slipping on my headphones and trying to drift back out. Night after night, I kept falling back on a collection called International Sad Hits.

This collection consists of four artists from Korea, Japan and Turkey. This sound familiar? It might, I highlighted two tracks from this collection back in January. Those artists were, Kim Doo Soo (Korea) and Fikret Kizilok (Turkey). This week I'll introduce two more, Kan Mikami (Japan) and Kazuki Tomokawa (Japan).

I should mention that the Tomokawa link points to a video clip from Takashi Miike's movie Izo. Miike is one of my favourite Japanese filmmakers. If you are unfamiliar with his work, be warned. Miike is known for extreme violence and bizarre sexuality in his movies. This clip is no different. If you are worried about it, look away and listen, the track is fantastic (despite a few sputters).

video:
Kim Doo Soo: Bohemian
Fikret Kizilok: Just As Long
Kan Mikami: Yume wa yoru hiraku
Kazuki Tomokawa: Clip from Izo

For those that made it through the Izo clip, I am posting links to two of my favourite Miike movie trailers, Ichi the Killer and Audition. Enjoy.

bonus video:
Takashi Miike: Ichi the Killer (Trailer)
Takashi Miike: Audition (trailer)

As always, I enjoy your thoughts and feedback (on- or off- line).

[/jc: guest post]

No comments: