[jc: guest post]
Welcome to another early edition of earWorms. I don't know about you, but this week kicked my ass. I'm feeling beyond spent. To help ease us all out of the week and into the weekend, I've got a few choice gems for you all.
First up, Sonny Boy Williamson. Sonny Boy is one of my all time favourites when it comes to the blues harp, and his voice carries just the right shade of defeatist blue. Laid back.
Next up, blues staple John Lee Hooker. As best I can recall, John Lee was my gateway to the blues. His relaxed and stumbling vocals are a perfect match to the plunk and strum of his playing.
Rounding out this evenings set we've got Hound Dog Taylor. I first learned of Hound Dog Taylor about 8 years ago. I remember sitting at my desk, headphones on, trying to meet a deadline. From across the room I saw the accounts guy, an overweight, middle aged stereo type, walking toward me. I took off my headphones as he approached. He pulled up a chair and sat down. "You know Jared... you've got a decent blues collection for a young guy, but you haven't got a single Hound Dog Taylor track." As it turns out he'd been dipping into my shared music library. The next day he brought in 3 cds for me to sample. For this contribution I'll remember him fondly (despite some of his assy behaviour when the company crumbled in the months that followed).
video:
Sonny Boy Williamson II: Your Funeral and My Trial
John Lee Hooker: It Serves Me Right to Suffer
Hound Dog Taylor: She's Gone
[/jc: guest post]
No comments:
Post a Comment