
There are no words to express what has happened tonight. It's the most historic, optimistic and amazing time I have ever witnessed. There is dancing and celebration all around. There are helicopters and tv cameras, drums beating, crowds shouting, "YES WE CAN!". There are cops and flares blocking off streets keeping the crowds contained while rerouting buses. Phones and video cameras capturing every moment...
I am so amazed that this has actually happened. The last 8 years have taught us to be skeptics, it's hard to trust that tomorrow they won't tell us something was wrong and none of this is true. But right now, right this minute, the hope is tangible - can you hear the chanting, "NO MORE BUSH!", have you got the goosebumps? I will not be a skeptic, because I really do believe in change. We all know it'll be an uphill shit road for Barry. Go figure... there's an awful mess to deal with. I still believe it will be better. Much, much better.
We watched the election at Waziema, the Ethiopian place on Divisadero. It ended up being packed with people, but not a whisper while Obama gave his speech. (there were a few gasps at Michelle's poor wardrobe choice though...) I actually hope that McCain will become the guy he was before this all started and do some good with the power he's got. Maybe he'll blossom like Gore did? :) I have nothing to say about Caribou Barbie.
Closing remarks:
I feel like the world is celebrating with us. finally.
Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sis, ALISON!!! I'm sure everyone is celebrating you too. I am!
1 comment:
I am so glad you were in the midst of the celebration and not hiding from the race riots I was afraid were our alternative.
It is truly an amazing turn of events and I'm even a bit honoured that it happened on my birthday.
Hope lives. Praise be.
Post a Comment