[jc: guest post]
Like any decent source of audio delight, I figured I cook up a list of what I thought were some of the best releases of 2008. In the process, I realized just how hard it was to remember what had come out in 2008 and what came out prior to 2008. So rather than call this a "Best of," I'll call it "10 decent discs" - that allows for the fact that I've likely forgotten a few fantastic discs that kick the shit out of those that I've included... but I'll do the best I can.
Looking over my Last.fm stats, in an attempt to get an accurate picture of what I gave a good listen and to help lose the current-listening bias, I was surprised to see who was bubbling to the top. Generally speaking, this list should be quite accessible to the majority of the folks that listen to earWorms posts, and in some cases you should recognize the names. Enjoy.
10 decent discs from 2008:
Byetone: Death of a Typographer
This disc is freakin' awesome. Anyone with a taste for electronic music would be well advised to find a copy of this disc... and while you are buying, throw a copy of the Plastic Star remixes in your cart as well.
Video: Plastic Star (live clip)
Black Mountain: In The Future
This disc takes some of my favourite parts from late 70s rock, psych and rolls it into its own fine blend of audio goodness. If you like a good stoney tune, you'll dig this.
Video: Wucan
Genghis Tron: Board Up the House
While I don't dig it quite as much as their previous discs, this album still managed to get a fair bit of play. Nice shift changing intensity... screamy kids with guitars.
Video: Things Don't Look Good
Ladytron: Velocifero
Melancholy electronic pop music, how can you not dig it? Catchy and sad.
Video: Ghosts
Santogold: Santogold
On the other end of the spectrum, this pop fave is catchy as hell. It isn't very deep, but it gets you tapping.
Video: Lights Out
Portishead: Third
Portishead. Need I say more?
Video: The Rip
Brightblack Morning Light: Motion To Rejoin
I dig this disc for the same reasons I dug their last one. Perfect for walking when you should be sleeping. Goes best with a foggy head and burning eyes at sunrise.
Video: Hologram Buffalo
The Dirtbombs: We Have You Surrounded
This one will get you up and moving. This disc is more polished and clean than earlier Dirtbomb releases, but the garage leanings are still there and still good.
Video: Ever Lovin' Man (live)
Talkdemonic: Eyes at Half Mast
The kids might call it post-rock, but they call themselves "folktronic hop" - whatever it is, its good. Acoustic guitar and viola, with drum loops and samples... trippy and poppy.
Video: Duality of Deathening
MGMT: Oracular Spectacular
I wanted to hate this band. I really did. I still want to hate them. But, dammit they are catchy and I can't deny it. The kids love them, and it seems I dig 'em too.
Video: Kids
[/jc: guest post]
No comments:
Post a Comment