Monday, May 26, 2008

earWorms 28

[jc: guest post]

Assuming you've all recovered from that last psych-rooted post, this weeks earWorms will be taking a totally different tack. With all of this new found freedom, I have been terrible at keeping track of time. I sleep late and then stay up until 4am, listening to music and searching for more of it.

Over the past week I have been listening to some newer hipHop and some of its relative derivatives. Other than a few random tracks, earWorms has given very little time to Rap, Hip-Hop, Grime, Turntablism or any similar forms of music... the biggest reason for this lies not in my interest, but in that of our readers. So this week I have attempted to gather a few tracks that may appeal to those that don't typically find themselves bangin hipHop from their family vehicles. Granted, these aren't all technically hipHop, but for the sake of ease... we'll call it good. All of these tracks call upon sources from decades before, mostly ranging from the late 70s to late 80s... I suspect that this will lend a bit of familiarity to most listeners. Let me know what you think?

audio:
Lady Sovereign: Those Were The Days
Santogold: Shove It
Lupe Fiasco: Kick Push
RJD2: Clean Living

video:
Lady Sovereign: Those Were The Days
Santogold: L.E.S. Artistes
Lupe Fiasco: Kick Push
RJD2: 1976

more SOV videos:
Lady Sovereign: Love Me or Hate Me*
Lady Sovereign: 9 to 5

*Catchy as hell, assuming you can get past the brand dropping (too common a sin in hipHop land).

[/jc: guest post]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tunes!!!

Olan enjoyed them all immensely, he was dancing around like a maniac before school yesterday morning. Those Were The Days is already one of his favourites as well as being a favourite of Aunty Mer (who joined in the dancing around the breakfast table for that track).