Saturday, April 19, 2008

earWorms 22

[jc: guest post]

Kicking out an early edition of earWorms this week. For some unknown reason, this week I have been drawn to listening to back-to-back covers of Gloria Jones' Tainted Love. While some of you may know this version, I suspect that many of you will be more familair with the mid80s Soft Cell cover. While I can't deny that it is still catchy, it lacks a bit of... shall we say... masculinity. A few years later, Vancouver's Skinny Puppy pressed in infinitley better (but only slightly more masculine) version - the version that got me to go looking for Gloria's original. A few years back, Marilyn Manson did a spiff cover (perhaps my favourite of all MM tracks) that made me compile every version I own into one playlist... this playlist.

Gloria Jones: Tainted Love

Soft Cell: Tainted Love

Skinny Puppy: Tainted Love

Marilyn Manson: Tainted Love

...and that's not nearly all.

A few videos...
Soft Cell: Tainted Love
Marilyn Manson: Tainted Love
Coil: Tainted Love

and for Katie (who likes the dancey bits)...
Pussycat Dolls: Tainted Love
Milk Inc.: Tainted Love

[/jc: guest post]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A suggestion from the audience...

Rihanna - SOS:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SqrXEIdcYGU

Thanks Paul.