Sunday, April 13, 2008

earWorms 21

[jc: guest post]

I won't even attempt to describe my current state, but I will tell you that time is short. This week I want to call your attention to a blues man that deserves a much larger listener base. J.B. Lenoir grew in popularity during the mid-50s and became known for his political lyrics. While all good blues speaks of sorrow and sadness, Lenoir's music grabs you hard and doesn't shy away when it gets too uncomfortable. I'm passing along three of my favourite of his tracks, below each I will include a snip of lyrics for you to ponder.

J.B. Lenoir: Born Dead

Lord why was I born in Mississippi,
when it's so hard to get ahead
Why was I born in Mississippi,
when it's so hard to get ahead
Every black child born in Mississippi
you know the poor child is born dead


J.B. Lenoir: Alabama Blues

I never will go back to Alabama,
that is not the place for me.
I never will go back to Alabama,
that is not the place for me.
You know they killed my sister and my brother,
and the whole world let them peoples go down there free


J.B. Lenoir: Down In Mississippi

They had a hunting season on the rabbit,
if you shoot him, you went to jail.
But the season was always open on me,
nobody needed no bail.
Down in Mississippi.
Down in Mississippi where I come from.
Down in Mississippi where I belong...


[/jc: guest post]

No comments: