What a crazy week. Really. Truth be told, I feel rather run out... and not at all like finishing the last 4-5 weeks of school. I'd rather find myself, snoozing under some shade tree... maybe with a book, a beer perhaps, with a whole lot of nothing to do.
So how does this all boil into listening treats? What has kept me rolling through the week? I've listened to a lot of classical music this week, mostly in the realm of Schubert, Schumann, Haydn and Brahms... did you know that Franz Schubert died when we was 31?
In addition to all of the classical, I have also been listening to some fairly accessible Canadian indie rock. Black Mountain pull their psychedelic leanings from some of the greats, from Pink Floyd to Neil Young to the hefty grooves of the almighty Black Sabbath. One listen and you can quickly identify a million sources, but they still seem to remain their own thing... and a good thing at that.
Black Mountain:
My later evenings have been a bit on the darker side, leaning back into old Mazzy Star and Hope Sandoval's work with The Warm Inventions.
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions:
Finally, between the classical mornings, rocking walks to school and depresso late nights, I have been listening to Wailing Souls. For those that like dub, reggae or a bit of olde skool roots, you'll dig Wailing Souls. This is perfect for headphones and the slow head nod - recommended for reading and responding to email or for use when eating your lunch in front of your laptop.
Wailing Souls:
dig.
[/jc: guest post]
2 comments:
I'm liking Wailing Souls --think I'd better do some walking with it today. Thinking about you lots.
D.
hi, thanks for the note. if you find it to be a good walking track, let me know... i have another version which was labeled disco mix. It isn't at all disco in the Saturday Night Fever sense of the term, but it does have a few extra beats added to make it more dance-friendly.
thanks again. Hope all is well on the west coast.
jc
Post a Comment