Let me start by telling you how tired I am. :) I'm not sure I'll make through 3 whole days!?! I'll try though I promise. New job - what can I say? It's new. It feels new. I was introduced to people and hope I can remember their names, I was shown where everything is, I got an invite to the Christmas party - but I still don't know where the bathrooms are. That's a bit weird I guess. What I can tell you about are the 3 crazy things that happened today. Seriously - bizarre... well "bizarre" to me.
First thing: The bus gets me there a bit early so I decide to stop in to the coffee shop and get a coffee, get my brain settled. I actually see someone I recognize. A friend of Jared's from school. Actually he's one of Jared's teachers and he's there working on school stuff, his thesis. We chat. I congratulate him on accepting a position at that awesome 'search place' in California we all know about... very cool. It's just kinda weird to bump into him.. it's not like we're near the school. Okay - so that's not so weird, but keep reading.
Second thing: I walk into the main lobby with my coffee, not sure what to expect. Barb (administrative guru) recognizes me and is so kind (definitely someone to befriend!) she asks about the border crossing, welcomes me with such excitement - all the wonderful things one hopes for on entry. She asks me to take a seat until Marc swings by - he's busy and is also supposed to be meeting with the other guy that's waiting. Barb introduces me to him as 'Katie, our newest addition'. This guy asks, "Are you Katie Caldwell?" Barb and I both, stopped, stared at him, like who are you?! I definitely had never met him before. Turns out he emailed me last week about a possible freelance gig, had gotten my name from a place I'd interviewed at. We'd bounced a few emails. He subtly mentioned that it was a good thing I hadn't accepted a job there, he'd just finished up his last day and was now freelancing. Damn. That's fucking weird... but not as weird as this...
Third thing: Marc is showing me around the place this afternoon. During the day I went off site to observe a "contextual inquiry" - that's all I can tell you. ;) Anyhoo, it's the afternoon, I've got my email figured out (thanks to Dave, sitting across from me), I'm getting introduced to people, we're doing a second tour and Marc says, oh you haven't met Greg. Greg and I do a double take, why are you familiar? I know! Oh I showed you the apartment on the first floor of the house I live in, when our landlord was out of town. Holy shit people - that's totally weird. Right?
That's 3 people...that's weird. Pittsburgh is small - but it's not that small.
The day was good. I feel VERY new. There's lots to learn, but I'm very excited. Thank you all for your best wishes and emails! I'll try to update this when I can... but you might have to be patient with me as I re-adjust my schedule. A schedule that doesn't include working in pajamas and taking breaks whenever it strikes me. I should also mention how awesome Jared has been. He got up early with me, made coffee, checked in to see how I was doing all morning before I left, worried all night about our alarm and sleeping through it and basically stressed out for me so I could sleep soundly last night. It worked. He's already got a lunch together for me for tomorrow. I just love this guy.
Time for bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment