The bodies are real human bodies, donated for this purpose. I'm not entirely sure of the "process", but basically it's called "plastination" - the bodies become plastic. It's kinda gross, but mostly fascinating. There was a 300lb man, well only a 1 inch slice of him - head to toe. Ick - but so interesting. We saw, the complete digestive system, lungs (smokers and non-smokers), the nervous system, brain hemorrhages, enlarged hearts, aneurysms, blood circulatory systems, a tongue and epiglottis. There was a man holding his skin. Did you know your skin is your largest organ and weighs more than your skeleton? It's about 20lbs. There were cross sections of everything. The most remarkable things were the pre-natal embryos to fetus development. There were tall glass containers with embryos from 4 weeks to 8 weeks - showing sizable differences from the beginning of week 6 to mid- week to end of week! It was mind blowing. The difference in size from 14 weeks to 17 weeks is truly amazing. Did you also know that your uterus grows up to 20 times it's original size during pregnancy? Soo cool. I'm not sure the show is for those that feel queasy at the thought of blood - though there isn't any. There were kids there - mostly 7yr+. There were younger kids there too, not sure how much sense it makes yet, but I could hear them asking questions. It wasn't creepy, it was sciencey... and awesome. Not sure that I'd donate my body though, definitely my organs...
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Bodies everywhere!
Sunday, Mum, Dad and I went to Taylor's Crossing for lunch - good pub food. Mum and I shared a Taco pizza and Dad had a cobb salad. We chatted about all sorts of stuff. I like these moments of comfort, where the conversation is good, real and easy. It's so nice when you actually enjoy your family. From there we drove to the Science Museum to see the Body World 3 show (learn more at wikipedia). The line was WAY out the door. We waited maybe 20-30 to get our tickets. The show is amazing and I strongly suggest going because it's so rare to see.
The bodies are real human bodies, donated for this purpose. I'm not entirely sure of the "process", but basically it's called "plastination" - the bodies become plastic. It's kinda gross, but mostly fascinating. There was a 300lb man, well only a 1 inch slice of him - head to toe. Ick - but so interesting. We saw, the complete digestive system, lungs (smokers and non-smokers), the nervous system, brain hemorrhages, enlarged hearts, aneurysms, blood circulatory systems, a tongue and epiglottis. There was a man holding his skin. Did you know your skin is your largest organ and weighs more than your skeleton? It's about 20lbs. There were cross sections of everything. The most remarkable things were the pre-natal embryos to fetus development. There were tall glass containers with embryos from 4 weeks to 8 weeks - showing sizable differences from the beginning of week 6 to mid- week to end of week! It was mind blowing. The difference in size from 14 weeks to 17 weeks is truly amazing. Did you also know that your uterus grows up to 20 times it's original size during pregnancy? Soo cool. I'm not sure the show is for those that feel queasy at the thought of blood - though there isn't any. There were kids there - mostly 7yr+. There were younger kids there too, not sure how much sense it makes yet, but I could hear them asking questions. It wasn't creepy, it was sciencey... and awesome. Not sure that I'd donate my body though, definitely my organs...
The bodies are real human bodies, donated for this purpose. I'm not entirely sure of the "process", but basically it's called "plastination" - the bodies become plastic. It's kinda gross, but mostly fascinating. There was a 300lb man, well only a 1 inch slice of him - head to toe. Ick - but so interesting. We saw, the complete digestive system, lungs (smokers and non-smokers), the nervous system, brain hemorrhages, enlarged hearts, aneurysms, blood circulatory systems, a tongue and epiglottis. There was a man holding his skin. Did you know your skin is your largest organ and weighs more than your skeleton? It's about 20lbs. There were cross sections of everything. The most remarkable things were the pre-natal embryos to fetus development. There were tall glass containers with embryos from 4 weeks to 8 weeks - showing sizable differences from the beginning of week 6 to mid- week to end of week! It was mind blowing. The difference in size from 14 weeks to 17 weeks is truly amazing. Did you also know that your uterus grows up to 20 times it's original size during pregnancy? Soo cool. I'm not sure the show is for those that feel queasy at the thought of blood - though there isn't any. There were kids there - mostly 7yr+. There were younger kids there too, not sure how much sense it makes yet, but I could hear them asking questions. It wasn't creepy, it was sciencey... and awesome. Not sure that I'd donate my body though, definitely my organs...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment