As many of you know, I walk to work every day (3.5 miles each way). Most of you also know that I am in no way a morning person. This often gets people asking me how I manage to get up early and hustle my ass to work every day. While some days are harder than others, most trips can be helped with a decent soundtrack. Mornings often focus on metal.
One of the best artists for my morning walk is (an old favourite) Buckethead. Yes. Buckethead.

A quick (and selective) bio for those that don't know Buckethead. He wears a mask and a KFC / Funeral bucket on his head - always. Buckethead never speaks. He has put out a shit-ton of solo albums, and has worked with huge number of collaborators (Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, Iggy Pop, Mike Patton, Viggo Mortensen and Bill Laswell to name just a few). Buckethead was in the Laswell project Praxis and also did a stint with Guns n' Roses and Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. Buckethead has also written and performed music for major motion pictures.
While I generally listen to Buckethead's metal work, he manages to impress in just about any genre he tries out. Sadly, his non-metal work is much harder to find on youtube. That said, I did what I could. Enjoy, but first a few words from Ozzy Osbourne (as interviewed in Revolver):
"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the fucking bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green fucking Martian's-hat thing! I said, 'Look, just be yourself'. He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother'. So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!'. I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing fucking mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up'? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a motherfucker."
video:
Buckethead: Big Sur Moon (on PBS)
Buckethead: Big Sur Moon (live)
Buckethead: Screwing around with a banjo
Buckethead: More banjo (live)
Buckethead: Honky-Tonk medley/improv
Buckethead: Screwing around with a Bass
Buckethead: Soothsayer
Buckethead: A solo compilation
Buckethead: I Can Only Carry 50 Chickens At A Time
Buckethead: Killing Cone
Buckethead: Baseball Furies
Buckethead: Wrathchild (Iron Maiden cover)
Buckethead: Robot dancing with nunchucks and a chainsaw
bonus:
Fashion Police: Picking on BH
Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains: Buckethead
[/jc: guest post]
No comments:
Post a Comment