[jc: guest post]
What got play this week? A fair amount really. Everything from early glam to "avant garde blues." Starting with Bowie, specifically his Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars, I took in a fair amount of glitter and psychedelia. Following on Bowie I found myself listening to a good amount of Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band. Beefheart (Don Van Vliet) is an impressive cat. If you aren't familiar with his work, I strongly suggest you check out the links (see below) to a 1997 BBC documentary on the man. Trout mask. Quality. Other than Bowie and Beefheart, my listening hovered pretty heavily in classical (a bit too epic for this format) and some hipHop (which we focused on last week). The only other artist with any play this week would be Tim Hecker. Hecker is one of my favourites when it comes to glitchy drones. Hecker has been my sleep soundtrack for the last two weeks. Love those thick and rolling waves of sound.
video:
David Bowie: Space Oddity
David Bowie: The Man Who Sold The World
Tim Hecker: Live EME 2007
Captain Beefheart: Part 01
Captain Beefheart: Part 02
Captain Beefheart: Part 03
Captain Beefheart: Part 04
Captain Beefheart: Part 05
Captain Beefheart: Part 06
[/jc: guest post]
2 comments:
Ok Jared, you just made my night. I haven't heard that much Beefheart since high school. I'm going to go pull out my Capt Beefheart and Frank mix tapes....haha
looking forward to seeing you two.
Scotty
Sorry I just got in shit for not putting guest post on the above message.
Post a Comment