Monday, September 22, 2008

earWorms 43

[jc: guest post]

Like I said, we're done with all that soul. This edition of earWorms will dig into two fairly under represented genres (on this blog at least), turntabalism and hipHop. For the most part I have kept away from gangsta shit and focused on tasty beats. For those that are a bit nervous to sample the goods, I suggest you start with DJ Shadow and work our way down (even if you don't listen all the way through). You've heard me compare modern day hipHop lyrics with olde skool blues, but these examples really focus on the music (much of which pulls from funk and soul). Young Bleed is the closest to the gunslinging rap that you might be more familiar with, but I've included him because of his southern fried drawl... I dig it.

video:
DJ Shadow: Midnight In A Perfect World
DJ Vadim: Oneself (w/ Yarah Bravo)
Aesop Rock: None Shall Pass
Deltron 3030: Mastermind
Kool Keith: Livin' Astro
Handsome Boy Modeling School: Metaphysical (It's a good day)
Young Bleed: How Ya Do Dat
Wu-Tang: Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' To Fuck With
EL-P: Deep Space 9mm
DJ Q-Bert: Unknown
A-Trak, Shortkut, Mixmaster Mike & Mista Sinista: Freestyle

Keep it open and let me know what you think.


[/jc: guest post]

No comments: