Sunday, August 03, 2008

earWorms 36

[jc: guest post]

This morning, as we lounged with coffee in hand, I pondered my week of listening in an attempt to select a few gems for this week's earWorms. Sadly, I didn't listen to much new music this week, mostly Black Mountain and Byetone, both of whom we've previously discussed. Not wanting to repost or give too much attention to an artist or group previously mentioned, I tried to look outside my regular listening and find another source of inspiration.

As many of you know Katie and I aren't huge TV people, although we do go through spells of heavy viewing (typically downloading). Now that we are staying in a fancy sublet with a big ass flat screen, we've spent a bit more time sitting in the blue glow. Katie tends to watch Animal Planet and I've been pulling for X-Games, but we both love Mad Men. You should too.

In addition to spending time in front of the TV, we've also spent some time wandering. Last night we wandered into Thieves Tavern, a pleasant little dive in the Mission. While we were there, the bar tender started asking if we knew anything about old metal. Do I know anything about metal? By the end of the evening she had a handful of artists, tracks and albums memorized... at least well enough to sound like she knew what she was talking about. We'll be going back to that bar.

Just so you don't think we spend all our free time watching the tube and drinking beer, I should also add that we've been eating like never before. SF has some outstanding places to eat. So good. After bring in Pittsburgh for a few years, a town that has next to nothin' when it comes to Mexican food, we've been loving the Mission which has an endless supply of Taquerías.

So what does this all have to do with earWorms?

video:
RJD2: A Beautiful Mine (Mad Men Theme)
Judas Priest: You've got another thing coming
Rebekah Del Río: Llorando

Okay, so not technically metal or mexican... but you get the point.

[/jc: guest post]

No comments: