Friday, February 29, 2008

earWorms 13

[jc: guest post]

Here we are, Friday, February 29th... episode 13.
With all of the folky-hippy shit that we've been posting, some of you may be starting to think that we've gone soft in our age. Well, maybe you are right... but just to offer a bit of an argument for the dark side, this special edition of earWorms is going to dive into a bit of metal. That's right, METAL!

You've all heard me conjure up memories about my youthful love of the mighty Black Sabbath. Ozzy era Sabbath is still one of my all time favourite bands and there are few bands that can compare with their first four releases - they provided a hefty alternative to all the hippy-love crap that everyone was spinning to, and allowed for a comfy bit of dark-introspection. From the band's third album,Master of Reality...

Black Sabbath: Children Of The Grave

A few years later, I discovered Slayer. Few American bands, excluding Marilyn Manson, have received as much religious hate-mail. Be that as it may, two of my absolute all time favourite guitar riffs are Slayer riffs. One of those riffs comes from this song - the first Slayer song that I ever heard...

Slayer: South of Heaven

While I am open to most forms of metal, these days I most often treat myself to Black Metal. For all its drama, gimmicks and makeup, I can't help but dig the pounding drums, grinding guitars and guttural vocals. One of the greatest Black Metal bands of all time is Norway's Gorgoroth. While I consider most Black Metal to be little more than theatre, I am actually a bit scared of Gorgoroth. They actually believe all the crap that they say. These dudes are scary. For the brave, I offer my favourite track from their Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam release...

Gorgoroth: Carving A Giant

Finally, the last track of this earWorms special edition, something for those that have listened to nothing else... a cover song. This song was originally written by Glenn Danzig, a man who's solo work makes me so sad, since his Misfits roots are so freakin' good... even his Samhain stuff is worth having. Anyway, here it is in all its glory - the original man in black...

Johnny Cash: Thirteen

[/jc: guest post]

No comments: