Sunday, February 03, 2008

earWorms 09

[jc: guest post]

While we still haven't found the time to post anything all that informative, the weekly earWorms drives on. A frequent reader recently commented on the fact that my weekly selections have been favouring the softer side of quality, and fully neglecting the darker side of good. It is true, the tracks I post here tend to be a bit mellower than much of the music I listen to on my own... but, unless I hear otherwise, I am guessing that the majority of this blogs readers don't embrace the delicate nature of Black Metal or Grind-Core. So for the time being, this weekly post will steer clear of heavy-riffage and relentless thundering percussion. I think.

Anyway, carrying along on our regular path, this week I bring a bit of Acid-Folk from the mid 70s. Sometime around 1975, Book of AM, a multi-culti band of hippies, found themselves in a circle somewhere near the island of Mallorca. After a short stretch, they produced a rather ethereal bit of trippy folk music. This comes from a fairly rare double vinyl set (just 500 pressed). Kick back and ease in.

Book of AM: Morning - I Am That Living Soul

Shifting away form the folky trend, I wanted to share one of the most catchy Halloween hits of all time. Written by Burt Bacharach in 1958, and intended for the original The Blob movie. I don't think it made it in. This track is performed by The Five Blobs, but from what I've found, the vocals all belong to Bernie Nee (over-dubbed 5 times).

The Five Blobs: The Blob

My final selection for the week comes from a DJ Zhao mixtape entitled "NGOMA Afro-Asia Sound System." This mixtape includes tracks from all over Africa, mixed together and eased through each other. The track that I have pulled this week comes from South Africa... a location that I historically do not generally embrace when it comes to music. Be that as it may, I find this track is pretty enjoyable.

Mapaputsi: Kleva

There you have it.
Until next time.

[/jc: guest post]

No comments: