Last week was a stinger. It was one of those kick you when you are down weeks. Thankfully, it ended well and closed with a mellow night aided by sleep and booze. The next morning we got up early, as Katie was catching a morning flight to see Shannon in Philadelphia. After Katie left, I had hoped to crawl back into bed, but I was too awake.
So I poured a cup of coffee and decided to watch Control, a movie about Ian Curtis. For those that don't know Ian Curtis, he was the tragic lead singer for Joy Division. Ian hung himself at the age of 23.
Such a movie may not be the best way to start a day. Even so, I enjoyed it and it got me to dig out some old Joy Division. Despite only 4 years, and two studio releases, the band's influence on music is undeniable. So for those that remember them, and those that have no knowledge of them...
I am posting one of my favourite Joy Division tracks.
Recorded for John Peel in 1979...
Joy Division:
Shifting toward a completely different direction, this week I also spent a fair bit of my time listening to Françoise Hardy. Françoise music will likely appeal most to those of you that enjoy Serge Gainsbourg and the work he did with France Gall or Jane Birkin.
Time for love (for all ye monolinguists)..
Françoise Hardy:
Shifting again...
this week I discovered a fella by the name of Onra. Now, I can't find much information on this cat, but I can tell you that his album Chinoiseries is a fantastic bit of instrumental hip hop. Constructed primarily from samples of old Vietnamese pop records, this disc is definitely worth chewing on.
From Vietnam with love...
Onra:
Finally, this week we have Misophone. In all honesty, I've had very little time to look into this folky duo, but I can tell you that this is from their 13th release, "Where has it gone, all the beautiful music of our grandparents? It died with them, that's where it went...". Is that a spiff title or what? This disc is a strange and dreamy little gem, and the track that I'll be sharing with you comes straight from the dark travels of the wandering circus. Dig it.
Misophone:
With that, we conclude this episode of earWorms. Next week, I'd like to take requests. Are their genres that you are interested in hearing more of? A performer that has you curious? A challenge that you'd like to see me fulfill? What would you like to hear? Let me hook you up.
Until then, enjoy.
[/jc: guest post]
No comments:
Post a Comment