Sunday, January 13, 2008

earWorms 06

[jc: guest post]

Yesterday morning, Katie and I started our day with The Devil and Daniel Johnston. Johnston's name has been fairly well known since the mid-90s, and his songs have appeared on a bunch on soundtracks and been covered by a ton of folks (including Tom Waits). While I knew that his story was a sad one, I didn't really know that much about the guy. So there we sat with our coffee, watching a movie that made us both feel impressed and depressed. In the end, we liked it. You should check it out.

The Trailer:


The first track for the week is True Love Will Find You In The End, one of my favourite Johnston songs.
Daniel Johnston : True Love Will Find You In The End

The next track is Bright Eyes doing a cover of Johnston's Devil Town. I tend to think of Bright Eyes as that little sad boy in the coffee shop, the one you wanted to smack with this own sketchbook. That said, this song is undeniably catchy... and I assume that many of you will already know it.
Bright Eyes : Devil Town

I was living in a devil town
I didn't know it was a devil town
Oh lord it really brings me down about the devil town

All my friends were vampires
I didn't know they were vampires
It turns out I was a vampire myself in the devil town



[/jc: guest post]

No comments: