Today is the most important day of January - do you know why? January 15th has meaning to many of you in so many ways, but the most important of all is that it's my mum's birthday. And today isn't just any birthday, it's her 60th! Isn't that cool?
First, you should all put your own ideas aside and know that I actually do have the best, most beautiful, most loving, most fucking awesome mum in the world. (Lynn comes in a close second of course.)
Here's a poem about my mum: ( i just wrote it, just now!)
...
oh I love you
so much more that spaghetti
oh how I love you
you're rarer than the abominable snowbeast
beautiful and fair
which such lovely hair
honest and true
I'm so related to someone in your exact likeness.
As your second sweet child
so silly and so mild
I learned from your ways
to anticipate sunny 24hr periods of time.
oh how I love you
my heart is so full
sincerely I love you
not a moment was ever boring or mundane.
...
Perhaps this type of poem is only funny to me... but I laughed out loud rereading it to Jared and he didn't really like how I didn't read it "normally". It's not normal people. But my mum will get it.
Sometimes I think back to being such an awful teenager and feel really bad. I hope the poem made up for it mum. I'm also sorry that one time I pushed you off the couch and broke your toe, but remember how you did sit in my spot... anyway, even though we were laughing and "horsing around", I shouldn't have shoved you - you're my mum for heaven's sake!
I especially loved the time when you made Alison keep going to piano lessons, and I didn't have to because Mrs. Scott was too freaky with her gnarly old hands and I didn't like it... and how I didn't have to join Brownies or try ballet, but instead got to take a pottery class and try cartooning. That was cool - except that all my pottery mysteriously went missing after it went in the kiln. I love remembering how you'd pick me up on my birthday from school and take me out for lunch and ask me all sorts of questions about me and write it all down on a paper placemat. I guess it's also cool that you let me wear some weird cowboy outfit every day for a whole year... I don't remember it but it's funny.
No one will know how much you "get" me and how lucky I am to have such a great mum. I hope I can lead by example like you have and at 60 be as excited about it as you are. I can only hope to make there with as much grace... I certainly have the "humility" part down...
Here's to you! I love you even more now than I did one paragraph ago. May 60 bring you belly aching laughter, adventure and new stories!!
xoxox,
k.
3 comments:
I am almost speechless. But I have to say back, "Oh how I love you My heart is so full Sincerely I love Not a moment was ever boring or dull"
And you know how full a heart can get...
Still laughing, but sort of not.
XOX Mum
Oh Katie, you are a funny girl and what a good tribute to our mum. I tried reading your poem to my coworker, but I was laughing too hard to get it out and she didn't really get the full impact I don't think. At least, she didn't really laugh as hard as was warranted. You're a good present to our mum. I love her too, but maybe not quite as much as spaghetti. A.
If I squint I think i can picture the funny voice necessary for such a tribute. And I must agree %100 your mom is the best! That's why I hung around so much at your house, I wanted them to adopt me, give me the sunroom, and treat me as an equal. It is an amazing talent, I think, to be such a great mom that your kids friends like you, even want to be in your company, regularily. I honestly cannot say that about anyone else's mother that I've met. Happy B-Day Denise, you spitfire you!
oh man, of course I should not forget her b-day, she shares it with Leifer!!! Man I'm losing my marbles . . . .
Post a Comment