Tuesday, March 25, 2008

earWorms 17

[jc: guest post]

The days are full, and often spill well into the nights. Twice in the last week I have found myself silently humming, careful not to wake Katie, but hoping to lull my head into slumber. On both occasions I was humming Skip James. Many of you know that Skip is one of my all time favourite blues men, and I have often been found trying to push his work on those kind enough to listen. Perhaps I have converted a few - perhaps these tracks will grab a few more.

I'm goin' to sing this song, an I
I ain't goin' to sing no mo'
Because my time has done got precious
Baby, Lord, I just got
I've got to go...

When ever Skip comes to mind, this is the first track to pop into my head...

Skip James: Cypress Grove Blues

Most of you will recognize this next track from the Coen brother's O Brother, Where Art Thou?. In the movie, Chris Thomas King kicks out a pretty tasty cover of this Skip orginal. As a side note, King's role was modeled on Tommy Johnson, the legendary blues man who sold his soul to the devil in order to become a master of the blues. Hardcore.

Skip James: Hard Times Killing Floor Blues

This next track is my most played track (according to Last.FM). While this partially has to do with the fact that I have five or six versions of it, I can't deny that I really do love it.

Skip James: Devil Got My Woman

For those that have been enjoying the video additions:
Skip James: All Night Long
Skip James: Skip's Worried Blues
Skip James: Devil Got My Woman
Skip James: Crow Jane
Skip James: I'm So Glad

As always, comments and requests are welcome and encouraged.
Thanks... jc.


[/jc: guest post]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just in case you were wondering, the video links come from a PBS series entitled "The Blues." The series was produced by Martin Scorsese, but each of the seven sections was directed by a different director. This section, "The Soul of a Man," was directed by Wim Wenders. This is the only section I have seen, but I am eager to see the all seven.

As another Chris Thomas King side note, King appears as Blind Willie Johnson in Wenders' "Soul of a Man."