When I first started thinking about this edition of earWorms, I was thinking about doing an all hip-hop collection. This thought soon lead to the idea of doing a show of non-traditional covers of hip-hop songs, for instance a country cover of a Snoop Dogg track. After that I pondered doing a showcase of pop music from around the middle east and parts of asia... I've got some sweet Turkish and Lebanese pop leaning hip-hop. Then I remembered that tomorrow is St. Patrick's day... well that definitely opens up a whole new realm of audio possibilities. I mean I do enjoy some of that rowdy Irish music, and I really dig some of The Pogues older stuff... Hey, did you know that The Pogues originally formed as "Pogue Mahone — 'pogue mahone' being the Anglicisation of the Irish póg mo thóin, meaning 'kiss my arse.'" Nifty huh?
Well after all of that, I realized that tomorrow night marks exactly nine years since Katie and I took a liking to each other. With one eye closed to help steady the room, we sat drinking and making fun of those in worse shape than we. I admit, many of the details are a bit fuzzy... but the important stuff is still there. Anyway, rather than post the expected list of St. Patties favourites, I am going to post a few tracks that I know Katie will like. I think. I mean who knows really... after nine years her musical palette is still a work in progress.
Starting this weeks playlist, we have The Dirtbombs. I got into the Dirtbombs through one of Detroit's finest - The Gories. Like The Gories, The Dirtbombs carry on a heavily funk flavour garage sound. This track, like most of their tracks, is both gritty and entirely groovable. Dig it...
The Dirtbombs:
Next up, Sri Lanka's unexpected hero, M.I.A.. This song is getting a fair amount of air time, but it is still undeniably catchy. Click-Bang-Cha-ching!
M.I.A.:
The last track of the week comes in the form of a pop mash. This mix was constructed by The Legion of Doom using two primary sources, the first being Gnarls Barkely's uber-popular Crazy and the second being The Raconteurs' Steady As She Goes. Now I generally find mashUps to be a bit dicey, and LoD isn't any different in that respect, but this track manages to find air time and I think Katie will dig it.
The Legion of Doom:
Just a quick heads up, I will be in San Francisco next weekend, and I may be late getting to the ol' earWorms... but fear not, the worms will be there as soon as I can get them to you.
totally unrelated... if you have the means to acquire Portishead's latest album (which technically arrives at the end of April) you should. I've been enjoying it for about 2 weeks now and it is pretty tasty.
[/jc: guest post]
2 comments:
Couldn't find a good video from The Dirtbombs, so here's one from The Gories: Nitroglycerine
M.I.A.: Paper Planes
Gnarls Barkley: Crazy
The Raconteurs: covering Crazy
The Raconteurs: Steady, As She Goes
Happy Anniversary!
Thought of you both as I do every year on St. Paddy's. Hope you had yummy beers and a relaxing night!
Post a Comment