[jc: guest post]
When I was a kid, my family subscribed to National Geographic. This was a few years before the web enabled every hayseed in the hills to see the snows of Kilimanjaro, so it was National Geographic that really introduced me to everything not within walking distance of my rural life.
As I got older, my interest in the natural world changed from flipping through back issues, to doing bong hits while watching whatever nature shows I could find on the tube. I remember mumbling something about "expanding my horizons"... or something.
Those of you that know me, know that I don't smoke anymore, and you also know that Katie and I have never owned a tv... thankfully, neither of these changes have limited our ability to "expand" and enjoy new horizons.
We've been downloading episodes of the BBC's Planet Earth, and all I can say is "holy-o-shit!" That is some quality TV. The visuals are far-far beyond anything I'd ever seen with my glassy teen eyes, and Sir David Attenborough's narration makes it all the more enjoyable. Even the sound design in this show is quality. If I had one complaint, it would be that the music can sometimes be a bit more melodramatic than I like, but thankfully those moments tend to pass quickly.
If you were a kid that spent time reading National Geographic, a teen that got stoned with the great apes, or an adult that discovered Edward O. Wilson... then I strongly urge you to acquire this series in any way you that you can. It is worth it.
[/jc: guest post]
1 comment:
David A. Rocks. Leif has ben watching his doc's since he was 2.5. We have life of birds, Life of Plants, Life of Mammals, and the ocean one. He's got some new one too about places on earth we can never go to. I found an old text of his at the library, and his author pic has him in black hightop converse and a long ponytail, standing over some sea life. Love it.
Post a Comment