Thursday, April 26, 2007

a few quick answers

[jc : guest post]

Just a quick note to answer a few of the questions I've received, but not responded to.

What will I be doing this summer?
I will be doing research on Congestive Heart Disease. I'll be looking for design opportunities, with the goal of finding some way to make these folks more independent. Having been a grumpy old man my whole life... I am looking forward to this project.

What will my thesis essay focus on?
To drastically simplify my topic, I will be focusing on three key concepts:
Innovation, (Social) Entrepreneurship and (Intellectual) Ownership.

I am interested in how social change is hindered by closed systems of thought, and how an open design process might affect and possibly promote social innovation and change. What can we as designers do to involve people in the process of finding innovative solutions to complex social problems? How can design help social entrepreneurship to make social change? How can design become a more open process, and ultimately benefit more people? These are a few of the (many) questions that I plan to address in my thesis essay.

What will my thesis project focus on?
I'll simplify this even further... basically, I want to create an ambient system/device (TBD) to help people change their current (resource) consumption habits. This will deal with research and prototyping on ambient systems, sustainability, social interaction theory and ultimately behavioural change.

How is the second semester rounding out?
My brain is melting...

[/jc: guest post]

No comments: