Thursday, February 15, 2007

the Student Update

Yes, you're all right, I haven't been very good at keeping you in the know about the adventures of our guy jc... the adventures continue I assure you. This semester he is once again a TA (teaching assistant), but this time for a class he will be TEACHING next semester (fall 07). The class is called CDF, communication design fundamentals? This from the guy who may have actually prayed to the high heavens to please not be a ta ever, but to spend his time in a web environment away from light and breathing things.

This semester Jared is taking 4 classes. One is an independent study. He's choosing to focus on more physical (and ambient) displays of information. He's got 2 projects lined up, the first, I believe - though still in early stages, has to do with proximity sensing in the real world. As I learn more, I will share more. The other classes are Research Methods, the Seminar and Studio classes (which I don't know what the official titles are). So those 4 classes and the TA stuff is keeping him busy.

Just SOME of the books piled up here and there.

That middle photo isn't a book. It's a box called the Electronic Learning Lab. It looks complicated and fun. Unfortunately the manual is missing from box... but not to worry, I believe jc found a version and downloaded it already. phewf!

I do know that for his studio class their class project is sponsored by Motorola and that the teams have been doing contextual inquiries, territory maps and heaps more research for their first presentation next week. In the seminar class, they've had to write a paper on 'What is Interaction Design' and the next paper due is to focus on 'Prototyping'. Jared's first paper was great, it read really well - like a magazine article, maybe he'll post it for you to read once it's finalized. It seems like for this class they are required to do A LOT of reading. I've seen the 2" stacks of photocopies for a week's worth of reading... yikes.

Overall the vibe is good. As usual, it is intense and busy, but since it's the second semester, everyone knows everyone now and there's a sense of comradery that didn't exist before. They've suffered together - apparently this creates special bonds. :)

Jared is planning on working as a research assistant this summer at CMU. I don't know yet what the focus of the work will be, but when I do I'll be sure to update you all. That's all I've got for now. Hope you are well...

No comments: