Wednesday, March 11, 2009

earWorms 70

[jc: guest post]

This week was a crazy week. Much juggling of time and tasks, closing out with a flight from the west coast to the east coast. While all of the busy-work placed limits on my active listening time, the flight provided me with a bit of time for soaking in a few recent acquisitions and rediscoveries.

When flying, I tend to lean toward long songs... songs with lots of drone and bass. This flight had me listening to a few Ulver releases. This Oslo based trio tend to genre shift (often mid-song), but often just get lumped with Black Metal. I don't agree with this label, but I will say that even their most mellow songs can induce rather dark images behind closed eyes.

With all of this news about Jane's Addiction regrouping, the teen in me can't get enough of it... I truly hope I can score tickets. I haven't seen them play since 1992. While I don't consume the same range chemicals, I suspect this time around they'll be much more successful than that half-assed attempt from a few years ago... this is the real deal. I hope. Either way, I've been enjoying the archive.

Finally, in keeping with the teen me, there are times when I just want to hear some Juliana Hatfield. Yeah, I know... too often it's just sappy pop music... but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I'll be posting a newish track, but it's all the same vibe to me.

As you all know, The Coffeekids are huge Neko Case fans, and as some of you may know Neko's last release Middle Cyclone hit the shelves on March 3rd... this made us happy. While I would like to post a video for something from the album, you'll have to make due with the bonus video that highlights a few tracks.


video:
Ulver: Dressed In Black
Jane's Addiction: Trip Away
Juliana Hatfield: This Lonely Love

Bonus:
Gummy Bear: Happy
Neko Case: Middle Cyclone


[/jc: guest post]

No comments: