Wednesday, January 14, 2009

earWorms 63

[jc: guest post]

Whoa... is it wednesday? Um... sorry, a few days later here. Moving right along. Busy busy busy.

I've felt like things have been getting a little predictable here as of late, and as an effort to combat things a bit... I'll be doing a bit of a global audio tour. Basically the next few earWrms will focus on a specific continent until we hit them all. Obviously Antarctica presents a few problems... so we'll have to sort something out. While I am not going to try to sum up the area with a few loose tracks, I do think it'll be a good exercise in opening up the scope.

To ease us into things, I am going to start with Asia. Over the last year or so earWorms has featured artists from Tuva, China, Thailand, Korea, Japan, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, various Middle Eastern locations as well as a few other fine destinations. That said, I don't think we've featured any artists from Cambodia, Iraq or Kyrgyzstan. We'll fix that with Dengue Fever (Cambodia), طروب يا صبابين الشاي* (Iraq/Kuwait) and Tengir Too (Kyrgyzstan).


video:
Dengue Fever: Seeing Hands
طروب يا صبابين الشاي *: طروب يا صبابين الشاي
Tengir Too: live clip

* Sorry for this, I can't seem to find an Arabic transaltion. Google's attempt results in "Jaunty you Sbabin tea." Which doesn't seem quite right. This is the trouble with enjoying music from far away places... i have no idea what the song is about or what is being said. I just like the way it sounds.

See you next Sunday.

[/jc: guest post]

1 comment:

Imran said...

it's something to the effect of "be lively oh pourers of tea" ... not sure the cultural significance or the meaning of the song... my arabic has gotten rusty.